22 November 2009

Around the Garden

There's a lot of things I've been wanting to do around the yard lately. I've been procrastinating, but I have to get myself in gear before the weather turns cold for good. I just got a couple of citrus plants from Darren and I've decided I want to keep all of them in pots, so I can protect them during any bad winter weather. I've got two planted in the yard that I may dig up and put into pots. Today I wanted to set up my composter near the vegetable garden and get it started with the leaves I need to rake up and some of my neighbors grass clippings, but it's been cold and rainy most of the day.
I had more to say, but as I am finishing this on Thanksgiving, I will just add a little about the photo in this post. I bought a tiny Butterwort in a "Death Cube" at Lowes. It was on clearance for 49 cents, so I figured I couldn't lose. Once acclimated to the outdoors, I put it in my bog with the pitcher plants, not knowing what might happen. It survived the summer and, I believe, thrived. It spread little by putting out more rosettes, but what surprised me last week was that it bloomed! I really wasn't expecting that. I don't know if it will survive our mild winter, but we'll have to see. Happy Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

cat said...

nice little butterwort! It's nice to see how wet you keep your pitcher plants. My one and only pitcher plant died on me, I think due to it being too dry overall (though still damp). What other carnivorous plants do you have?

Jenion said...

I really had no expectations about the butterwort. I didn't know what variety it was and it looked like it could have a range of needs. I don't think the CPs started out as wet. Once I do a little spring cleaning and maintenance they will be sitting higher up. When I bought the pitchers I also got a flytrap and a sundew. I gave up on the sundew, b/c it was hard to manage - everything stuck to it! I was striving for low maintenance and that wasn't. My flytrap didn't survive to see the bog, but I came to the conclusion that VFs like it drier than PPs - feet wet definitely, but not sitting in water.

cat said...

Yep that seems about right for VFT :)

I just fed my VFT some fish food pellets last week. Looking forward to seeing what is left when they re-open. I am trying to get my hands on a few butterworts now after reading your post here :) They'll be kept indoors here.