20 March 2012

Spring Has Sprung!?

I don't know what to make of the last 3-4 months.  I have been waiting on winter and it never came.  We had a couple of instances where the highs were in the 40s and lows were in the 20s, but for only a few days.  The rest of winter felt like spring - chilly in the morning, but comfortable during the day.  And it has really skipped over spring and gone right to summer.  I know it does that around here, but it REALLY did it this time.

I planted potatoes and peas a month ago and they're are just getting started.  I even planted some experimental potatoes in compost bags, after suggesting to a yard-less friend to try it, and I'm starting to worry about the amount of warmth we're experiencing.  Potatoes aren't warm season crops - they don't produce if the soil is above 80 degrees.  (Sorry, Maria!)  I am already gearing up for summer and I don't have anywhere to plant - I'm laying out a new bed right now, as well as the two that I always talk about adding.  I'm even planning to take over part of the front yard - it'll be the easiest thing to do under the circumstances.

This week I've been starting some seeds, probably twenty flats or so.  Because I thought it was still too early to do this, I started with perennial flowers and seeds that I had little hope of them germinating.  Then a few days later, I moved on to tomatoes and peppers.  Now I ready to plant squash, corn, and watermelon, but I've run out of seed flats.

So, it's the middle of March, the high has averaged 80 degrees for two weeks and there are already tons of mosquitoes.  Where does it go from here?

No comments: