16 June 2012

First Gardening Podcast

I just recorded the first gardening episode for "Chat Talk", a local podcast with MD and Devin.  While I was a little nervous, I think it went well.  We covered a couple of topics very broadly and I thought I would go back and give some more specific information about a few things.

First, I want to give out the Clemson Cooperative Extension and Master Gardener's Office information again:

Clemson Cooperative Extension
259 Meeting Street (2nd Floor)
Charleston, SC 29401

Master Gardener’s Office
M-F 9am-noon, 1pm-4pm
(843) 722-5940 ext. 117

To drop off soil samples, you will need at least two cups of soil.  The best way is to take a representative sample from the area you want tested, mix it up, and take at least two cups from that.  Basic soil testing costs $6, which will tell you pH, nutrient content, and instructions on amending your soil, depending upon what you are growing there.  There are "Ask a Master Gardener" booths located around the area on some Saturdays.  They can answer questions and take soil samples as well.


I have a little more information on starting a vegetable garden.

Three factors - Sun, Soil, Water
Sunlight is essential - at least 6 hours
Soil - fertile, well-draining
Water - adequate moisture

Sunlight is the most important one - the other two can be improved.  If you have poor soil, or poor-draining soil, there is always the option of raised beds.  You can control the type of soil that goes in it, and because it is raised, it will be drain better.  You probably will want to give your vegetables an inch or more water per week, depending on rainfall and time of the year.

There is one more thing I wanted to address.  We talked about kudzu bugs (Bean Plataspid).  I said I read an article that stated that pyrethriods were effective against these bugs.  I'm a little new at this and don't always know what I'm talking about - this was one of those times.  All of the pyrethr...words run together for me a little, so I'm going to clarify - as explained by the Clemson Cooperative Extension:

"Pyrethrum is made from the finely powdered flowers of a species of daisy. The word pyrethrum is the name for the crude flower dust itself, and the term pyrethrins refers to the insecticidal compounds that are extracted from pyrethrum. Pyrethroids are not botanical insecticides, but synthetic pesticides that are very similar in structure to the pyrethrins."
from: HGIC 2770 Less Toxic Insecticides

Here's a link to the podcast website, or go to the podcast page.


No comments: