06 February 2011

Spring Landscaping

Besides October, I'm told that February is the time to plant shrubs and other landscaping.   Going along with that timetable, I've been slowly preparing our yard for new plants.

Last fall, I chopped down a large azalea hedge and planned to dig up the stumps and put in new landscaping, but have been procrastinating - I knew I had until February to get it done.  It's February now and I'm trying to finish up.  I'm planning for President's Day weekend - I will have two days off and I was going to put in the new plants then.  All I have to do is figure out what plants I'm going to use and dig up the rest of the stumps.

It's backbreaking work so I've been trying to get a little done every day.  Each day I spend a little longer working on it, but it hasn't been very consistent.  Depending on how much time I have, I may not even get out there some days.  Today I have all afternoon, so I plan to get a lot done - taking breaks to rest my back.

As far as the actual landscaping goes, I'm still working on that.  I'm leaning toward native plants fro the obvious reasons, but also to limit my choices - deciding what to plant can be daunting.  I'm looking for about three different types of plants, maybe a tall grass in the back and a shrub in the middle and a groundcover or low-profile plant for down front.  I'm trying to think of it along the lines of container planting - a thriller(back), a filler(middle) and a spiller(front).

This would be my foundation planting and I would fill in the empty spaces between the shrubs with flowering perennials like coneflowers or daisies.  I'm still mulling this over, but I don't have much more time.  I have to get to work.

PS - If anyone has a good idea, please let me know!

No comments: