06 March 2010

Cold Frame / Raised Bed Completed

Today I managed to start and finish a new raised bed, one that will be used as a cold frame for the next month or so. As I wrote last week, I planned to use one of the smaller raised beds as a cold frame by putting windows on top, opening them in the morning so it won't get to hot during the day. After measuring the old windows I had, I modified my bed design a bit, to accommodate the size of the windows.

I plan to start my vegetable and flower seeds this weekend, although by looking at the weather for the coming week, the weather doesn't seem so bad. At the moment the vegetables I have to start are tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and squash. I'll be sowing corn and pole beans in situ. I've got non-vegetable seeds I want to germinate, like coneflowers, agapnathus, cotton hibiscus and devil's trumpet. Depending upon how many seed trays I have, some of the non-vegetables may have to wait. I also may try to grow stuff to take to the plant swap on April 10th. Wish me luck.

No comments: