18 March 2010

Seeds are sprouting!

I'm just going to say it. I had my doubts about growing lots of vegetables from seeds. I haven't had the best luck and I don't have the ideal setup. I've been religiously opening the cold frame in the morning (when it's 45 degrees) and trying to close it a little early some days to help it retain some heat overnight. I would stare at the soil every day and hope something would come up - and something did. These are the year-old squash seeds in the photo. Also Razzleberry tomatoes have begun sprouting. Most of my concern is with the vegetable seeds. I know the other seeds might take longer, or are no good, but that's just par for the course.

There was another reason I worried - I skimped on buying a seed-starting potting mix. I confess. I was at Lowe's and I couldn't find it and I gave up. Then I thought I would make my own, which was a bad idea because of time constraints - so I winged it. I had various soils lying around and I mixed a little of this with a little of that - perlite, compost, peat moss, shredded bark, anything that I thought had the qualities of a good potting mix, however oxymoronic - holds moisture and drains well.

Despite having succeeded the smallest amount, I am still holding my breath a little longer for more seeds to germinate. I have more to plant after this. I was at Lowe's and picked up watermelon seeds, and on a whim, I got some cactus seeds as well. I was cataloging my seeds for myfolia.com and I realized the beans I have are bush and not pole, so I need more of those too. A gardener's work is never done.

1 comment:

Darren said...

Sounds like you made a good seed starting mix to me! Nice looking squash sprout, i think you are doing fine my friend.
Don't be too impatient with the Cactus seeds though. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but depending on the varieties in there, they can literally take a year to germinate.