03 April 2022

Kyllinga

All I knew about this weed was that it was called Kyllinga, and it seemed similar to nutsedge, but that was it. And when I googled it, most of the results are about how to kill it. It appears to be an unremarkable plant, but I was curious, so it was one of the “flowers” that I chose to photograph during my hurricane vacation. One of the reasons weeds are so hard to control is that they are so prolific. In the case of Kyllinga, each one of these spikelets is capable of producing a seed

After taking this photo, I just loved seeing the interplay of light and shadow among the spikelets as well as the stray seeds still left on the flower. When deciding which photos should be part of the show, this one was almost didn’t make the cut, but the more I look at it, the more I remember why I liked it.

No comments: